Find Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Claims

  • Expand All
  • What is a deductible?

    A deductible is the amount of covered charges that you must pay before the plan pays benefits.

  • What is an out of pocket limit?

    An out of pocket limit is the amount of covered expenses for which each covered individual must pay a portion of before the plan begins to pay covered expenses at 100% for the remainder of the policy year. For example, the plan may pay 80% of the first $10,000.00 in covered expenses. This means that you pay 20%. The $2,000.00 that you pay is the out of pocket amount.

  • How do I find out if my provider is in the Alaska UFCW PPO network?

    In Anchorage and Mat-Su Valley the PPO hospitals are Alaska Regional Hospital and Mat-Su Regional Medical Center. Elsewhere, the PPO providers (hospitals, physicians, etc.) are those in the Aetna Choice® POS II (Open Access) network. To find a PPO provider, click on the following link, select the provider type and location you are looking for and then select the Aetna Choice® POS II (Open Access) network. Aetna Choice® POS II (Open Access) network

    The Trust also contracts with the following providers, who are in the Alaska UFCW Health and Welfare Plan PPO network: Coalition Health Centers in Anchorage and Fairbanks; Surgery Center of Anchorage (part of Alaska Regional Hospital); New Frontier Anesthesia (the anesthesiologist group at the Surgery Center of Anchorage); and Bridge Health Surgical Benefits.

  • How do I file a claim?

    If you visit a preferred provider, your provider will file the claim on your behalf. It is very important that your health care provider has a copy of your current identification card to ensure that he or she files the claim properly.

    If you visit non-preferred providers, they will likely require you to pay the full cash price for service at the time of your appointment. You will need to request an itemized billing to submit in this case. The claims submission address can be found on the back of your identification card.

  • How do I add a new dependent?

    You should complete a new enrollment form listing the dependents your wish to enroll and authorize a wage deduction for employee/child(ren) or employee/spouse and/or family coverage. You are required to provide supporting documentation such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate to enroll your spouse/children. Dependents may be added at open enrollment (if eligible), or when you reach the required coverage level for employee/child(ren) coverage, or employee/spouse and/or family coverage, or if you have a change in your marital status, or adopted or given birth to a child.

  • My Explanation of Benefits shows a patient balance, but my dentist told me they would write it off. Who do I contact?

    WPAS, Inc. is not aware of agreements between you and your dentist. When benefits are processed, they are based on billed charges. Please contact your dentist, and ask him or her what your account reflects as patient balance.

  • Does my plan have a dental preferred provider network?

    Most plans do not have contracts with any dental networks, and you can chose a licensed dentist of your choice.

  • How do I preauthorize a hospitalization?

    The name and phone number of the pre-authorization organization that must be contacted prior to hospitalization, is displayed on the back of your identification card.